Friday, July 18, 2008

The Truth is greater than the facts – AAM AADMI


Dr. Rajesh Talwar’s release from jail has given a lot of people some work to do. There is Barkha Dutt, who once again, can prove on National Television how she has can influence ‘aam aadmi’s life’ (she has incidentally been voted as the 8th-9th most powerful woman in the world, on some AXN TV show) as she makes an emphatic point on ‘Do we agree that the media has played a wrong role in this case’. Her brethren , frankly for want of anything better to do, ( who are constantly jostling for mind space with us so called intellectuals, consequently hoping for positive increase in advertising revenues) passionately join in the circus, …then there is this ‘aam aadmi’ as a part of the same exhibition. He ( or she- for the politically sensitive) sits there and self righteously argues on the Noida police, UP police or some other body that needed to do a better job in the first place. ‘Talwar should sue for defamation- these ineffective police fellows deserve it.’ As you would have guessed, in my current cynical phase in life, this Aam aadmi is going to be the object or damn it, subject of my blog.

Don’t you just love this aam aadmi? He behaves all virtuous, has a justification – all externalized, for almost everything that happens or doesn’t happen in his life. It could be any case in point- be it his child’s education, the state of the roads, how this country is not being run well, the state of cricket & those ugghh –mercenary cricketers playing for IPL ( imagine – its corrupting minds & spoiling the gentleman’s game) , the Nuclear deal, the Ambani feud & god help us – Dr. Rajesh Talwar’s case. To me AAM AADMI is perfection- He has perfected the art of manipulation, deceit & worse still- now lives in a complete delusionary world.

Lets look at the Talwar case & its inappropriate handling by the Noida police. I am not going into the details here- essentially a middle class person with a long established dental practice, wife & 14 year old daughter, was accused of murdering his daughter ( Aarushi) - to who incidentally , just the night before, he had just gifted a video camera for her forthcoming birthday.. Based on prima facie , ridiculously concoted stories & evidence, Talwar was arrested by the Noida police. He was released after spending 50 days in jail after the CBI had duly investigated and found some other fellas to blame.

My favorite AAm Aadmi quickly jumped at this chance to articulate everyone else’s opinion but his own. There were all sorts of opinions “what has the world come to? Talwar had an affair with his long time family friend, his daughter was upset & he killed her" Or some other bull shit like this. I watched aghast at their reactions, interacted and ineffectively argued with a lot of my colleagues who all had opinions on the case and were dying to find out what kind of a heinous man this Talwar was ..'This is true kalyuga’ Meanwhile, nowhere did the media actually say that Talwar had or not had committed the crime. They did their job- presented facts for both the sides- yeah with a little drama thrown in. On the other hand, I think the media had a huge hand to play in the escalation of the case to CBI

Come on , people- get real with me. Are you choosing to deliberately ignore some obvious facts STARING at you right there in the face or have you just become too lazy to even bother? Cant you make your own judgements any more? Look at the facts- Talwar was arrested by the Noida police- the same agency who had made a complete mess of the Nithari murders, they didn’t find the body of Talwar’s servant for 3 whole days- all the time the body was lying on the terrace, the law & order situation at Noida ( or rather, the lack of it) is apparent for everyone to see but still- you chose to go with THEIR INTERPRETATION of the story. I cried myself hoarse- at the lunch cafeteria, dining table, friends- how can a father kill his daughter in these circumstances. Its not making sense- for those who listened to his wife’s interview of NDTV- there were still a few people who didn’t lack conviction- He couldn’t have done it. But most of us- waited, like a hyena- waiting for the lion to have its fill- waited on the fringes , waiting to fill themselves with the leftovers- in this case, whatever is the emerging reality- whatever is presented to them on a platter.

Being a quintessential aam aadmi myself , I mostly like to keep myself aloof from such moments of truth, However, it disturbs & pains me that while we indignantly go on with our lives, we conveniently ignore the inconvenient facts that confront us and then lament , mourn the entire world for our own misfortunes . Then at an opportune time, make our pathetic presence known by rallying around some newly realized truth- that incidentally was ALWAYS there for all to see. We sign up for teach india campaigns , we blog, we hold sabhas, discussions – all to justify our own foolishness in the first place.

O Aam aadmi- help me out here, help me understand- what is the legacy we are leaving behind for our children- what are we teaching to them? Why are we forgetting our conscience, why do we forget that I still can influence my own life, why do I forget that I don’t necessarily need to sign up for campaigns or participate in rallies to deal with our own bewilderement.. as Talwar begs & asks to be left alone to belatedly mourn his young daughter’s death, ….Talwar was not defamed by the incompetent governing authorities- it’s the AAm AAdmi in you & me, who must take the responsibility of defaming him and in the process., ourselves..

5 comments:

Ravi Kodukula said...

Haanji...

Did you know the Aam Aadmi on Barkha Datt's show - and virtually every other talk show - actually waits outside the studio for hours before getting called in for the 2 hour shoot for which he gets paid 200 rupees? The Aam Aurat (and probably this is the only place where the Aurat has a better equity) gets paid 300 rupees?

I see a strong sense of an 'Armchair' Aam Aadmi in your post - the one who subscribes to the adage - everyone who has an asshole has an opinion - to the hilt...

But this is one mystery that I haven't been able to get started on... leave alone get to the end of it... while what happened is gruesome on the one hand... on the other, it throws up far darker truths than what is apparent to the naked eye... Parenting for one...

I would not want to voice an opinion without being privy to the Talwars' lives and the circumstances that led to this ugly event...

Himanshu said...

Don't we all seem to be the quintessential "aam aadmi"...how many of us a re getting our hands dirty by stepping in the mileu and getting our hands dirty. Maybe we should take a first step by participating in our RWA (resident welfare association) elections. Stand for some posts and get elected. Make our own colonies better for the "aam aadmi" to live in. Will I have the time to do that?

Apoorva said...

Interesting perspective to this unfortunate event.

Even though I am in UK, I have followed the same

Obviously even when one does not know the full details , one forms an opinion, because we have been brought up in a manner that unless you have an opinion you dont matter.

So we form opinions on what we read, know. I dont know who is guilty, not guilty and leave that job to people who are supposed to be doing that, but nevertheless interesting thoughts Bhavna , to all of us to help us introspect and determine if we indeed are forming opinions too quickly in this fast paced world

suman said...

I do not believe that any of us had enough insight into the matter for us to have formed an opinion any which way. We know what were shown.

And Like Bhavna says that in the absence of having the facts / truth understood, it is our discretion / intelligence that should guide us towards what view we would want to.

Therefore, I certainly for one would not like to be clubbed or generalised into a "category" or "type" - Aam Admi or otherwise. If I have a mind and I regularly let my conscience visit me then I may have distinctive views also.

Having a view which is either contributing to sensationalisation on one hand or "righteousness" on the other hand to me is a complete no no. In a nutshell I simply do not know enough about this case particularly to form any opinion. The police did a bad job is for everyone to see so I have a view about that, the media made its buck rather inssensitively in some cases by sensationalising it so I have a view on that, a part of the media took the holier than thou route which to me was disgusting enough, so I have a view on that. On the case, however, I don't believe I can have a view or I am equipped to have a view.

I have a view for young Arushi and Hemraj. They certainly did not deserve this. I have prayers and apologies for them.

Bhavna said...

I havent read 'The Argumentative Indian' but the hubby was telling me that the book is about the need for each Indian citizen to argue/ opine about everything. Thats what disturbed me about this murder- the common man isnt able to form an opinion on his own anymore. eg- did u see the photos in TOI of the young cricketers - partying away. So quick to jump to conclusion- aam aadmi now knows 'just the reason' why India lost the Asia cup!!! Uggghhhhh. Answer to 'how can India win the next crucial cricket match-firing thjese drunkard & lusty youngsters... ha!

Followers