Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Mama's Boys


‘Ah he cant let go of his mom’s pallu- the umbilical chord wasn’t ever cut’

As the years progress and the mind blurs out details, no woman ever hazes out the memory of that irritant somewhere along their whole wedding process- where the mom in law showed you who IS the boss and directly challenged you ,the greatest War in mankind history gets launched once again!. For example, mine took place pretty upfront- 2 days after meeting –‘Aunty’, when the Lord & I exchanged rings. A sultry Delhi evening, a cramped, badly ventilated DDA flat and the meeting of 2 completely different cultures. My relatives- all Punju, mostly Delhiites, many businessmen- unhappy that true camaraderie would not happen since Damaadjee did not eat kukkad shukkad, his all Maddu ( ok ..Tamilian Iyengar Brahmins, if you please..) a little taken aback by the characteristic Punju loudness and the brashness. So our man 'rings' me as the Pandit asks him to and then proceeds to turn his back completely on me. Me in that ghastly ‘rani pink’ saree ( why the hell do they call us North Indians loud?), sweat streaming down and feeling completely out of control with mostly strangers- desperate for his confidence inspiring warmth, his tingling hug and those eyes which still ..sigh, DIDN’T GET ANY. The Lord needed to impress his and my relatives ( he continues to hold the trophy for 'Model Dammad' in the Chopra/ Kapoor khandaan) and then Amma decided it was time to go home and so off we got into the hired taxi waving a bye to everyone except of course me – I stood there gaping and seething. NOTHING? NOTHING! NOTHING …F@#$ing NOTHING.
I have never professed to be a low maintenance person- (high performers always take a lot of energy) and The Lord understands that very well NOW. But obviously the rosiness of the dating had not prepared him for the harshness of Real life. The downside of a completely ebullient personality is that the intensity of anger can be pretty vicious. As he dutifully dropped in the next day- he experienced temper for the first time in his life. (The Rangarajan family is like all the noble gases put together but the Lord is NEON, though mom professes I have, with my tantrums- managed to make him reactive). Honestly I wasn’t even interested in scaring him- I WANTED OUT...my parents begged me not to call it off (Eng, IIMC, good looking, small family, educated, .et al) but I was on a roll. So as he stared dumbfounded at me – first trying to figure out why he was still his Mama’s boy and then trying to quickly remedy it- how he could become his fiancée’s. Obviously, no clear instructions were offered ( Falling in love is always life's early lesson in learning to deal with ambiguity) and all frantic attempts felt flat. A precarious peace treaty ensued – rocked by the occasional erupts of violence usually triggered when the visits happened ( Have you noticed that they NEVER pick up the dinner plates when their Moms are around?) .

And then Ta happened- conceived on my 31st birthday in a fertility hospital in a petri dish- the fusion of a purrfect egg & sperm, he changed my life forever. The first 6 months were the adjustment period- I resented him- for making me fat, for changing my body forever, for making me feel like a milk machine, me sitting there every night awake and eyes burning- waiting for him to stop that annoying, shrill wailing so that I could pop him out of the balcony..My first baby is beautiful. He is kind, generous and understands me like no man ever did. Protects me physically as well as emotionally– doesn’t like me wearing anything short and skimpy –‘Meri mama ka shame shame kisi ko nahin dekhna chahiye’ , if tears swell in my eyes- he just sits with me and holds my hand till I feel better. His genes reflect my sense of empathy and his Dad’s sense of logic- many a time his rationale helps me to get a control over my anger or sadness. He is super protective about his sisters and loves to dance with me. He hugs me tight in the blanket these days- coz his Mom can freeze even in a mild winter. Just the suggestion of a ‘new mom' who will feed him chocolates everyday and not scold him- angers him. My eyes flaring up in irritation are sufficient to indicate looming danger ( The Lord still does not learn), he is ever be mindful of pleasing me. He amazes me with his agility to tune into emotions and his immense respect for anything living.

Now comes the crucial question that I have been contemplating for the last 2 years- will any woman ever be able to befriend him, to make his hurt better, to kiss him when he needs it, to smother him with love, to know what he likes to eat, to sing to him like I do, to tell him its OK to attack once in a while-especially when he is attacked, to change his sadness into happiness in a jiffy, to make him feel like the greatest gift to mankind- like I do?? Lord o Lord (no pun intended) –that is an impossible feat. My little baby who turns 4 in a few days has really become the handsomest boy in the whole world. As I urge him to stuff himself with another paratha coz his ‘bumpy’ is too small for him to attract any girlfriend and he dutifully tries but argues with me that it doesnt matter since he is going to marry me – I am so grateful for the invisible umbilical chord that will always exist. Coz he can never be anyone’s but his MAMA’s boy.

So Miss ‘Oh I know just exactly how to handle him’ wherever in the world you are right now – Ta’s Mama KNOWS BEST. The bugles are sounded -This is a warning issued with sufficient notice period.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Way to go! Mama....

Your little boy will ask you...

"Mother do you think she's good enough for me...
Oo-ah, Mother will she break my heart (?)"

And you'll say-

"Hush now baby, baby don't you cry
Mama's gonna check out all your girlfriends for you...
Mama's gonna wait up till you get in...
Oo, babe, oo babe oo babe
You'll always be a baby to me"
(Select lines taken from the song- "Mother" in the album "The Wall", Pink Floyd)

At times I envy the bond that you have with our son, but more importantly I always have a strong sense of confidence and belief that this special bond of you and Ta have is setting the foundations for fine, confident and sensitive human being in the times to come.

Cheers!

Unknown said...

I rest my case after this:
http://maami.wordpress.com/2007/12/23/ammas-boyz/

Unknown said...

erm and also this:
http://maami.wordpress.com/2007/12/16/how-i-loved-and-lost-em-iyengar-boyz/

lucky girl you you.

Bhavna said...

Lord o Lord, to what do I owe this honour- u stopped by to leave a comment? Of course I will check out all the girlfriends..wont approve of any of them though. But while I run the risk of only letting him sing..I know u'll let him fly. So we may just turn out JUST what the world is looking for, na?
Missus- Ah The Iyengar boys, the first time I met all his cousins at a wedding I was dazzled- not even in my IIFT days ( where men were aplenty) had I seen such a fine collection. I remember nudging him and saying that he was lucky we were already married..what fine specimens they were..err are.

Ravi Kodukula said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ravi Kodukula said...

Yeh Ek Abr Ka Tukda Kahaan Kahaan Barse... Tamaam Dasht Hi Pyaasa Dikhaayi Deta Hai... (Shakeb Jalaali)...

What an irony... my wife wants to rob me of my mother and hopes her son would remain hers for life...

'We live a man's life'...

And poor Ta... his life is cut out even before he began...

Hey, leave him alone... let him take his pick... the world is full of choices... I wish I were born a few years later... mama... or no mama...

X said...

Very well written. I am a very proud mama's boy! Wish the girls understand that it is impossible replacing a mom!

mindspace said...

What a nice post Bhavna, how a lady wishes the husband isnt mama's boy and goes on hoping that no girl ever comes between herself n her son..

First time here! from MM's post.
From reading this, i get a feel your DIL whenever her time comes, will have a great time with u :) amen!

hehe.. will keep visiting u for more..
~Tara

Anonymous said...

It's true ...they never clear the table when their mom is around ! Why is that ???

Followers